11 January, 2011

To scald or not to scald?

Lately, I've started to thaw some frozen BM to feed YY. I know that frozen BM taste and smell weird, so I want YY to get use to it before I get back to work on 24th Jan 2011. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to like frozen BM so much :( I'm a bit worry now coz I have LOADS of frozen BM stock in freezer, to the extend where I borrow Teacher Nel's freezer for extra storage space too! Her house is just a few blocks away from my mom's house, so that's the most convenient for me. Otherwise, I have to bring my stocks back to my house, a long drive lah. Mah fan. 

Whenever I try to feed YY with the frozen BM, she gave me the blluuueekkk face and even spits them out too. She insisted not to take it after many attempts of feeding, so in the end susu masuk longkang. Coz left over BM has to be consumed within an hour after heating, and not advisable to reheat it repeatedly too. The only way to overcome this is to feed her the same in midnite, or when she's semi-asleep. This way, she'll gulp down 3oz clean clean, without much struggle. If she's wide awake, no way to force it down her throat. I even tried to mix 1oz of refrigerated milk + 2oz of frozen milk for her, hopefully to reduce the metallic/soapy/sour taste of frozen BM.  This way only works once a while.

Actually I feel gross over the smell of  frozen BM too. So I don't really blame YY for rejecting it. Even when QQ was a baby, she didn't quite like it too but she was Ok with it after a while. Those weird smell of frozen BM is caused by lipase. Below info is extracted from this website. 


Why does my frozen milk smell unpleasant when I thaw it?

Lipase, the enzyme that digests fats, stays active when milk is frozen. Some mothers have a high level of this enzyme and their milk smells and tastes soapy when thawed. The milk is not harmful but the baby may refuse it. You can scald your milk before storing it to make the lipase inactive by heating the milk to about 180 degrees F (82 degrees C), or until small bubbles form around the edge of the pan. Chill quickly and store.


Now I'm thinking whether should I scald my BM before storing? Scalding (heating) the milk before storing it may help to reduce lipase activity, hence reduce the weird smell after heat up the frozen milk. But scalding will destroy some of the milk's anti-infective properties and may alter nutrient levels too. So how? Want to scald or not leh?

Any mommies out there have tried scalding method? Please share with me =)


6 comments:

LittleLamb said...

i didnt hv this problem with my son.

Smelly Butt's Ama said...

good lor! but this 2 days, YY change taste, kinda accepting frozen milk hahaha. pls continue to like it....

Caca said...

wow, I can see you are doing your very best to give the best BM to your baby.

Smelly Butt's Ama said...

Hehe, that's my aim :)

Kit said...

Ya, my boy didn't like frozen EBM either so I ended up expressing and putting the EBM in fridge, not freezer. I felt quite pressured too as I didn't have any frozen stock!

Good luck with your EBMs...

Smelly Butt's Ama said...

Kit, at the moment she's on fresh EBM coz she's not well lately. hopefully she still accepts it when i start feeding her with frozen milk later on.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails